• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

View: https://x.com/Qwik/status/1778269707575119977

I've thought about this idea for a while, as a player, since I've been diving into single player games lately.

When I beat a game, there are some that just leave me in awe of how amazing the experience was. At the end of the game, I've often thought "I wish I could give these folks another $10 or $20 because it was worth more than my initial $70 and they didn't try to nickel and dime me every second".

Games like HZD, GoW, RDR2, BG3, Elden Ring, etc. I know $70 is already a lot, but it's an option at the end of the game I wish I had at times. Some games are that special.

I know most will dislike this idea. :) BTW, I realize we are tired of "tipping" in everything else - but I view this different from a pressure to tip type scenario many face and give feedback on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice idea but publishers would definitely use it as an excuse to pay devs less.

Nov 4, 2022
Sure, sounds good, but are you going to trust the publisher to actually pay the people who made the game, many of whom they probably fired as soon as it was out of the door?

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Ah yes, bringing tipping culture to video games as a means to suppress wages and create friction between developer and consumer, while taking pressure off of the millionaire CEOs and business people like himself whose greed is really at the heart of the issue.

Shut up the fuck up Mike.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
This is easy, just buy another copy of the game as a gift for your friends or giveaways.
e. Share the fun and experience with more people, and not just pay more for your own.

Dec 23, 2017
Some developers sort of do this already by offering customers an option to buy a "Supporter Bundle", like Black Skylands.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1799480/Black_Skylands_Supporter_Pack/

This might make sense for indies but you can't trust the gaming industry. Tipping will be abused just like it is in real life and AAA publishers will find a reason to ask for tips. They can get the fuck out of here with that.

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same issue with the Epic Games Store offering devs a larger cut. In an ideal world, that extra money would go toward the underpaid and overworked devs, but in truth, it won't.

The games where the devs are likely to be paid more for something like this are absolutely not the $70 games. It's cheap $20 games like Deep Rock Galactic where you feel like buying a supporter pack is actually helping out.

Erdnuckel01

Oct 29, 2017
Don't only pay your waiter as they can't make a living wage, also pay the developers because we are not going to. Yeah fuck him.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Some paid (and free) indie games on Steam offer supporter/tip jar/what-have-you DLC. That's a fine way to handle it, I think. But there isn't a single publisher in the world who'd do something similar and actually split that revenue between the people who worked on the game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i want to tip ubisoft for delisting the game i bought, please let me do it

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I kind of think it's a neat idea if there was some way to ensure it would go directly to the studio's P&L and not to the "Activision/Blizzard/King" company at large. Or whatever huge conglomerate a studio is under.

Don't know how you could do that, though. But, for games I really like, I wouldn't mind the option of paying a bit more as a tip when I've had a really great experience.

I would want it to be thoroughly transparent, though.

Nov 4, 2022
Tipping culture as also poisonous, since it makes a simple transaction where I give you something you want in exchange for money into a fraught power exchange in which I depend on your charity to make a living. Fuck this idea.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
847058e2-e68e-41dd-b759-222c8b27c5c7_text.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice idea but publishers would definitely use it as an excuse to pay devs less.
Bingo.

I sometimes feel scared to say it on ERA with how many complaints there are about $70 games, but some games I play are so good that that price feels like a steal and I would absolutely "tip" the devs.

But yeah, in reality it'd just turn out like the food service industry.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Don't forget to clap after you send over the tip. You will get reimbursed with a free double xp weekend.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Tipping is a mistake and anyone trying to implement it just wants to pay people less like my country has shown me time and time and time again. Don't ever let them fool you.

We live in a world where you get guilted by your server over your tip % because their job doesn't pay them. Fuck tipping.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. I get the sentiment of tipping for professions that are aren't paid a living wage (or paid less than), but knowing how pay for game developer salary is, this is not an appropriate comparison in the least. Studios can pay their employees more, not foist the onus on consumers. The prices of games and monetization will go up anyway.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Is the money I'm spending buying the game not going to the devs? If not, why are the publishers not paying them more. They make enough profit most of the time.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Kind of incredible this coming from a former President of Blizzard, someone who could have actually had the authority to just pay devs more, or at least been able to make a strong argument to someone that did.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Look up some of the devs and see if they have a Patreon or something. If any publisher of reasonable size puts a post-game tip in their game, that money ain't going to the devs.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The money could easily go to the publisher who possibly fired a good chunk of the devs after production wrapped up. Will be a shit idea in practice and probably isn't good in theory either. Buy the DLC or deluxe edition if you wanna support the devs the best you can.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This looks like a great idea if you think for 5 seconds, and really terrible when you think for 6 or more.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
it's so bizarre to me because you could just get the deluxe edition or premium edition upgrade or whatever after the fact in many cases. Treat that as your "tip" then, Ybarra.

The only example I can think of that I've done this with was when Rocket League came out I bought the first car dlc pack for the $5 or whatever it was because I wanted to throw them some extra money their way even if I didn't care for the car itself.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
best blizzard idea since the D3 real money auction house

I can't wait for screens like this after every dungeon in their games

a0765bc-tip.png

at the highest option you will also get a bonus loot

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Then shut the fuck up.
Love it when these novel "let's all pitch in, guys!" ideas come from the fairly well-off with disposable income.

You know who I would *rather* tip with my limited "extra" (haha) money?
Fucking disaster relief workers. Teachers. Just abouuuut anyone else.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Some developers sort of do this already by offering customers an option to buy a "Supporter Bundle", like Black Skylands.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1799480/Black_Skylands_Supporter_Pack/

Yeah, the quote in OP sounds like a really stupid statement, but things like this are surprisingly common and well received by players from what I've seen. Deep Rock Galactic has a similar system, I consider game soundtrack purchases on steam to basically be this as well.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Americans want to introduce their tipping culture into videogames now.
15 years from now developers getting mad if you didn't tip