Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colonel179

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2014
Like the title says, why doesn't Apple make a TV instead of the device Apple TV? They have the money and technology to do it, and it would benefit much more to have an actual TV to incorporate their services than to rely on an external TV.

They have announced a setting to balance colors on the new Apple TV, but with an actual TV, they would have the control of that. Their displays are great, so people would even be able to turn on and enjoy without having to calibrate.

I have A Sony TV with integrated Airplay, and I'll say that that is much better than to have an external device to accomplish that. The same goes for built-in chrome cast.

I just feel that it would make more sense for Apple to release a TV instead of Apple TV.

What do you think?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Consumers upgrade TVs every 5-10 years, logistically they are clumsy/costly to transport and store.

Not worth the hassle.

Last edited:

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Because their penchant for overpricing hardware would get them killed in this business space. Just like how their stupidly priced streaming boxes are getting destroyed by much cheaper, equally capable boxes.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Because their penchant for overpricing hardware would get them killed in this business space. Just like how their stupidly priced streaming boxes are getting destroyed by much cheaper, equally capable boxes.
Equally capable no.
what else gives you instant Controls on your phone lock screen with what you are watching? the ability to change your volume on your receiver on the same screen. Airplay. Polished apps.
find me one good music app that looks like the Apple Music app interface and how well it’s designs and works? I’ll wait
I have an nvidia Shield also and they are the same price. The shield has generic looking apps that look like the standard app a developer made in a weekend and said hey that’s good enough.
what you get with an appletv is much more than what you think but that’s ok you don’t see it.
I use airplay every day. I use the remote app more than any other remote for my tv stuff and it always works. I have to restart the shield every 3-4 days or glitchy stuff starts happening. It’s a finicky device that feels like a beta compared to an appletv.
I dont own an alexa devices and wouldn’t. some of my family does and I can’t stand them. My mom calls me every 6 months she thinks her fire stick is broken. Turns out the battery’s die on them super fast or her whole firestick freezes.
The app control apps are also crap compared to the remote app. Small buttons and badly laid out design. I can use the remote app not looking at the phone because the way it’s laid out.
so you get a lot more than what you think for 150-200$ and I’m perfectly fine with that little amount once every 4 years with the resale value of them you barely lose anything.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Equally capable no.
what else gives you instant Controls on your phone lock screen with what you are watching? the ability to change your volume on your receiver on the same screen. Airplay. Polished apps.
find me one good music app that looks like the Apple Music app interface and how well it’s designs and works? I’ll wait
I have an nvidia Shield also and they are the same price. The shield has generic looking apps that look like the standard app a developer made in a weekend and said hey that’s good enough.
what you get with an appletv is much more than what you think but that’s ok you don’t see it.
I use airplay every day. I use the remote app more than any other remote for my tv stuff and it always works. I have to restart the shield every 3-4 days or glitchy stuff starts happening. It’s a finicky device that feels like a beta compared to an appletv.
I dont own an alexa devices and wouldn’t. some of my family does and I can’t stand them. My mom calls me every 6 months she thinks her fire stick is broken. Turns out the battery’s die on them super fast or her whole firestick freezes.
The app control apps are also crap compared to the remote app. Small buttons and badly laid out design. I can use the remote app not looking at the phone because the way it’s laid out.
so you get a lot more than what you think for 150-200$ and I’m perfectly fine with that little amount once every 4 years with the resale value of them you barely lose anything.
Polished apps? Lol it can’t even play all Netflix content and continues to have the worst YouTube app of any streaming device. I have airplay on my 50 dollar Chromecast. At 180-200 dollars, the Apple TV has to be light years better, and it isn’t close to being that. In fact it’s behind in a lot of areas.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Polished apps? Lol it can’t even play all Netflix content and continues to have the worst YouTube app of any streaming device. I have airplay on my 50 dollar Chromecast. At 180-200 dollars, the Apple TV has to be light years better, and it isn’t close to being that. In fact it’s behind in a lot of areas.
What’s wrong with the YouTube app? what’s wrong with the Netflix app? Yes apps on the Apple TV are way better implemented then anything I’ve found on the shield and a firestick. If you don’t care about user experience or know what it is then forget about It.
my friend uses pandora and doesn’t mind staring a blue screen or janky interface. Compared to the music app there is no comparison.

Last edited:

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
What’s wrong with the YouTube app? what’s wrong with the Netflix app?
I don’t know if these are specific man made choices or device limitations but here’s a couple off the top of my head,
YouTube:
No 4K HDR, restricted resolution for movies(currently max of 1080)
No Match Frame Rate (though used to be with the previous version of the app)
Netflix: Not compatible with the interactive movies/shows.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Like the title says, why doesn't Apple make a TV instead of the device Apple TV? They have the money and technology to do it, and it would benefit much more to have an actual TV to incorporate their services than to rely on an external TV.

They have announced a setting to balance colors on the new Apple TV, but with an actual TV, they would have the control of that. Their displays are great, so people would even be able to turn on and enjoy without having to calibrate.

I have A Sony TV with integrated Airplay, and I'll say that that is much better than to have an external device to accomplish that. The same goes for built-in chrome cast.

I just feel that it would make more sense for Apple to release a TV instead of Apple TV.

What do you think?
It's the wrong strategy. The better way would be for them to license AppleTV to leading TV manufacturers.

Reactions: compwiz1202

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I don’t know if these are specific man made choices or device limitations but here’s a couple off the top of my head,
YouTube:
Almost like those companies are the ones that implement those features and hold them back from their competitors for some strange reason....

Reactions: mallbritton

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Apple doesn't make their own screens for their computers, iPad and iPhones, why would they get into the TV business? In my system the cable box and ATV are my sources, audio receiver powers my Advent loudspeakers, TV not hooked to internet, just acts a HDMI video monitor, and there are plenty of them on the market.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
YouTube:
Hdr on YouTube doesn’t mean too much to me. I have a shield and still haven’t seen any hdr videos that I know of. Also on the shield I get dropped frames and things are just choppy in general. Same on my friends shield. dropped frames and it’s noticeable. Interactive shows are cool once every few years. I have other devices for that. Hardly something I would think is flawed but that’s me. I’ve tried two shows that had that

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Apple could make a profit off a 65 inch mini LED at some insane price point, but quickly that product would be up against much cheeper sets and Apple would quickly lose interest. Given a 65 inch TV is £625 or £2000 for OLED, what could Apple do to improve the TV so much that they can hold a high end product and price for multiple years?

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
US
Bose has already made an "Apple TV". It was called the Videowave. Clean design. Super high end 120 Hrz screen from Samsung, great sound from the internal speakers. Internet connectivity with a few Apps. The remote control is still better than any remote I have ever used. Kind of like the new Apl TV remote with touch scrubbing and onscreen menus but better. Price killed it as it was crazy expensive. Our 55'' Gen 2 is 6 years old and going strong in the living room attached to a APL TV 4K on one of the HDMI inputs.

Last edited:

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
They will one day , it’s pretty obvious that’s where it’s all headed , just waiting for screen tech to catch up with apples ideas

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Bose has already made an "Apple TV". It was called the Videowave. Clean design. Super high end 120 Hrz screen from Samsung, great sound from the internal speakers. Internet connectivity with a few Apps. The remote control is still better than any remote I have ever used. Kind of like the new Apl TV remote with touch scrubbing and onscreen menus but better. Price killed it as it was crazy expensive. Our 55'' Gen 2 is 6 years old and going strong in the living room attached to a APL TV 4K on one of the HDMI inputs.

With all due respect, but Bose has the worst, the very worst UI and connectivity of all the TV brands and that screen is definitely second rate compared to the LG OLED screens, so great that you have a bose, but for anyone else please don't buy that thing. Just buy a LG CX with a good soundbar like a normal person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.